More and more people are aspiring for a PR (Permanent Residency) after becoming eligible for it in Australia because of the quality of life being high in the country. The pathways provided below are the most commonly used routes one can take to obtain a PR in Australia.
A person can apply for a GSM – General Skilled Migration visa that entails the 489,190 and 189 visas, if they are working in Australia currently. For instance, in case of a skilled regional subclass 489 visa holder, one may begin filing for a PR application once :
- They have been living in a specified region for a minimum of 2 years
- They have worked in the specified regional area for a minimum of 1 year
- They have received sponsorship through the regional Sponsored Migration program
A student belonging to a different country studying in Australia under a degree or trade that is recognized can earn points that can make them eligible for the PR application through their Student Visa.
- A person can who is a skilled worker can file an application through the Skilled Independent Visa scheme if they don’t have family members or relatives who could sponsor them. A migration expert can help to handle the filing of this visa better as there is information required to be filled that should make one’s interest in the visa justifiable and their skills relevant.
- Investment visas, business visas, and visas sponsored by family members are other common pathways to Permanent Residency. It must be noted and remembered that despite the Australian Government’s constant efforts to simplify the visa process and make it as efficient and uncomplicated as possible, there are still going to be difficulties along the way. The quest for PR depends a lot on a person’s circumstances and makes it essential to seek assistance from a migration agent perth for getting the desired outcomes.
In the past few years, there have been many big changes to the legislation over migration and there are still many changes expected to come in from the DIBP (Department of Immigration and Border Protection). There are quite a few visa holders who have been observed as to be seeking a PR proactively and before the changes come in. They are probably not aware of the pathways that are available for the PR.
Assessment of Skills
An authority is deployed for assessment of every specific skill of an occupation that is eligible under the Australian list for such a visa. They will assess the person on the requirements as in the list and see whether the criteria for the pathway are met. There are different criteria required for every occupation.
Skilled Regional (subclass 489) Visa: 3 Pathways for PR possibility
Subclass 482 visa has taken over the position of being the most popular working visa in Australia after the 457 visas were abolished. It gives opportunities to workers to stay in Australia and use their skills despite its difficult restrictions, duration and other requirements it creates for sponsors as well as applicants. It also enables employers to get the skill requirement from other countries.
However, there is another possibility –
The Provisional Skilled Regional (Subclass 489) visa
The subclass 489 allows skilled workers to work and stay in the regional areas of Australia or places areas of low-population for a period of up to 4 years and in some cases, one can initiate the eligibility for a subclass 887, i.e. Permanent Skilled Regional visa.
The requirements here may be tougher, but still here:
- Every person is tested as per the points system and has to have a minimum score of 60 points.
- Applicant must be less than 45 years old
- Applicant must have a high proficiency level of English through IELTS or PTE test
- The occupation selected by the applicant must be on the state’s approved list of skilled occupation
- The person must have a work experience of at least 3 years in a country other than Australia or 1 year in Australia.
- The applicant may have to undergo a positive skills assessment test as well.
There are 3 pathways through which applications may be channeled
In this, the applicant would have to apply for an EOI (Expression of Interest) in Skill select, where they need to specify if they are going to be sponsored by a family member staying there or if they are looking for a nomination from the government of Australia. Based on an assessment on all of the above points, the applicant could get an invite.
- Extended Stay
Those applicants who are currently in possession of visas under the visa subclass 496,495,487 or 475 and those who are trying to extend their stay can use this pathway. The
eligibility will still be decided based on the earlier criteria.
3. Subsequent Entry
Those applicants who are a family member of a person who currently owns a
Provisional Skilled Regional (subclass 489) visa or one of the visas from subclasses
496,495,487 or 475 visas, can use this pathway.
Persons with a Skilled Regional 489 visa can live in Australia for a maximum of 4 years and work, study or stay in a specified Australian region and travel anywhere in Australia or in and out of it whenever they want provided the visa is valid and subsequently apply for PR as per eligibility.