Did somebody say gnocchi?
No great way to suppress your appetite works when you are expecting vegan gluten free gnocchi on the dining table. Tender, soft and delicate dumplings, it is the best hearty meal you want when you get the munchies. This Italian dish is extra satisfying. If you’ve got 35 minutes, you can experiment a little and cook vegan gluten free gnocchi at home.
This can be your go-to recipe. 35 minutes, simple ingredients and some love; your delicious gnocchi is ready. If not sticky or falling apart, you have done it like a champ.
Also Read:- How to Make (and Buy) the Best Italian Pasta
You can make decent dough with cornstarch and rice flour. However, it will not be perfect. Tapioca flour and chickpea flour make a perfect dough for the recipe. Chickpea flour is also known as garbanzo bean flour. It’s a perfect combo that can be used in several other recipes as well such as gluten-free tortillas. Your gnocchi are going to be firm, soft and flexible. Gnocchi become sticky only and only when you cook for long. Cooking for 2 to 3 minutes is enough.
As you are using protein-rich chickpea flour, this recipe is a great source of protein. The amount of protein is even more than the wheat-based gnocchi you buy from a local store. And, this recipe is free from preservatives, additives and other unwanted ingredients.
Isn’t it amazing?
This recipe is protein-rich, healthy, vegan, gluten-free, egg-free, easy to make and the dough is also perfect for all other gnocchi dishes.
Let’s Make It
- Total time: 33 minutes
- Pre time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 3 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Peeled and chopped potatoes – 2 ¼ lbs
- Chickpea flour – 1 ½ to 2 cups
- Tapioca flour – 1 cup + extra for dusting
- Sea salt – ½ tsp
- Bring salted water to boil in a pot.
- Peel and chop Yukon gold potatoes and then move to that pot.
- Cook on medium heat until tender, drain. It will take around 15 minutes.
- Now mash with a potato masher. Avoid using a blender or food processor.
- Knead after adding 1 ½ cup of chickpea flour and tapioca flour.
- The dough is most likely to be sticky, but you can easily handle it. However, too sticky dough is difficult to work with. You can add more chickpea flour. Whether you need 2 cups, 1 ⅔ cups or 1 ½ cups of chickpea flour, it depends on the type of potato you are using.
- Now cut the dough into pieces of equal size. Dust these pieces with a little bit of tapioca flour.
- Use your fingers to roll these pieces to strands.
- Now cut these strands into 1-inch pieces using a knife and make small balls of these pieces.
- If you want to create ridges on your gnocchi, you can use the back of a fork to roll every ball.
- Move the gnocchi to a pot containing salted boiling water. After only 2 to 4 minutes, the gnocchi rise to the surface. Now, remove them using a slotted spoon.
- You can use a sauce of your choice with your vegan gluten free gnocchi.
If you want to enjoy more delicious and crispy gnocchi, you can add a little bit of vegetable oil or vegan butter in a pan and fry your gnocchi.
Freezing The Homemade Vegan Gluten Free Gnocchi
You can freeze your gnocchi. If you want to do so, make it in a larger quantity and freeze half of the batch.
Serving Gluten Free Gnocchi
Some people like to eat fried gnocchi as they are crispy and delicious. You will love to eat them with roasted chickpeas and mushrooms. Gnocchi are best enjoyed with homemade tomato sauce.