A baby delivered without complication,initially healthy and motor development was within normal limits till the age of three, but with time he was spotted with low tone with awkward motor skills and inconsistent imitation skills. Later on, communication skills were delayed, vocalizations were used at three months of age but no words to utter till 3 years of age. This pathetic stage justifies a disorder Autism, also termed as Autism spectrum disorder(ASD). ASD is categorized and characterized by undersupplied social skills, engaging in repetitive behaviours and trouble with speech and nonverbal communication.
DATA AND STATICS:
- According to surveys about 1 in 59 children has been spotted with autism spectrum disorder.
- It has been detected in all ethnicities, racial and socioeconomic groups.
- Studies revealed the individuals with ASD with and average prevalence between 1% to 2%.
- 1 in 6 children in USA have the development disability ranging from mild to serious development disabilities.
Reason of autism: Research indicates that genetic factors predominates. The heritability of autism is undefined and complex and still in research process which genes are responsible for generating ASD. Some studies define its causes on the parameters of environmental and biological factors also.
Categorisation of Autism : There are three revealed types of Autism spectrum disorders that are discovered till now.
- Autistic disorder – Known as “classic” disorder this is one of the common disorder used by people to know ASD. It is a neurological and developmental disorder that usually appears during the first three years of the life. A child affected with this Autism is totally unaware about the world, far away from realising the social and environmental awareness. Vanished proper sensations, interest in others and often have problems like avoiding eye contact and attachments to the world.
- Asperger Syndrome: Asperger Syndrome involves many challenges for affected people like hypersensitivities to light sound taste, difficulty with the conversation, non verbal conversational skills. The affected child seriously confronts the situations like clumsiness, uncoordinated movements with anxiety and depression.
- Pervasive development disorder: It is commonly referred to the “ atypical” Autism. This Diagnostic category is characterised by the delayed development in socialisation and communicating skills. This level my spotted as early as infancy, although the typical age is on set before 3 years of age.
Autism treatment: Different autism patients have specific unique strength and challenges so there is not a fix size and process to treat that fits to all affected children and adults. Medical approach and treatment is basically delivered to ones requirement.
Here are some of the medical practices that include therapies, analysis , behavioural treatments and interventions.
- Applied behaviour analysis (ABA).
- Early start denver Model (ESDM).
- Floor time.
- Occupational therapy (OT).
- Pivotal response Treatment (PRT).
- Relation Development Intervention (RDI).
- Speech Therapy.
- Verbal Behaviour.
- Use of medication.
Is it possible to Diagnose autism spectrum disorder??
It is difficult to diagnosis ASD as there are no accurate medical tests to detect and find out this disorder. Behaviour and certain characteristics are the only source for the doctors to judge ASD. It could be sometimes be detected at 18 months and younger.
Behaviour with autism affected : Its not easy to handle a asd affected but with being consistent and sticking to a schedule could lower down the challenges to handle the affected. Good behaviour, creating a home safety zone, seeking nonverbal cues, sort out the motivation behind the tantrum generate more fun times and most imp of all these is patience and never giving up mentality and strong emotion could reduce difficulties with an autism one in a effective manner.